Monday 21 April 2014

The world in my pocket by James Hadley Chase - a review

'The world in my pocket' is a mystery thriller written by James Hadley Chase. I became a fan of this brilliant writer when I was a teenager and his books were a craze among us in India too. I have a good number of his books in my library. 

James Hadley Chase is a pseudonym he used among others like James L. Docherty, R. Raymond, Raymond Marshall, and Ambrose Grant. René Lodge Brabazon Raymond (1906 - 1985) was an English writer who penned numerous thrillers, almost all of them became best sellers. 

This book has a gripping plot about a group of men and a woman who try to steal an armored truck containing a huge amount of money. The group became tempted to execute this risky theft because of the enormous sum involved and they will become rich if everything goes well according to the plan, well..if everything goes well! Things went wrong, like in most of his books, with twists and turn to reach a very peculiar ending. 

Catchy titles, crisp writing style, thoroughly researched plot were some of the reasons his books became super sellers.  

His books are still popular here. 
Hats off to this great writer! May his soul rest in peace!

Liked this post? Well..., I have one more interesting blog, click here to check the latest updates there too 😊

12 comments:

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Oh you men. You adore reading, watching thrillers ...
They have a very compelling story ...
So are most often bestsellers.
Greetings from Polish.
Lucia

Rajiv Sankarapillai said...

Hi Lucia, cool comment :)
Thank you.
This book is good read.
Cheers !

Joy said...

I must admit that my heart beats fast when it comes to thriller:)
I like more love stories:)

Rajiv Sankarapillai said...

Oh, well...the next review will be about a romance genre, do not worry :)
Thank you Joy :)

Anonymous said...

This looks good. I read a lot and I'm surprised I haven't heard of this author.

Rajiv Sankarapillai said...

Oh, I am also surprised you have not heard about him. About 30 years ago his books were popular all over India like in western countries. He was very much popular in France. Some of his books found their way into Hollywood films too. There are his fans active here still. You may find some online too !
Thanks Medeia :)

George said...

Thanks for the review of this book. I love to read and will see if I can find it.

Rajiv Sankarapillai said...

Hi George, thank you :)
It is a thriller, hope you will like it.
Cheers !

Brian Miller said...

i had not heard of this writer...perhaps because international?
i am always on the look out for good reading...

Rajiv Sankarapillai said...

Now that you have heard of this writer why not try some of his books ?
Cheers !

ariverflowsby said...

I will too, try some of his books. Thanks, Rajiv.

Rajiv Sankarapillai said...

Welcome Richard :)
Chase was a sensation in India at that time.
All the best !