Thursday 1 May 2014

Evening tea with khakhra

This was today's evening tea๐Ÿ˜Š
Thought I will share it with all my blogger friends๐Ÿ˜Š

The crispy Chappathy (wheat roti) like bread on the plate is 'Khakhra'. I bought this the other day when I shopped at the mall nearby. Not familiar in South India, so I thought let me give a try when I saw this new item displayed on the shelf along with 'pappadoms'.
 
Khakhra is actually a Gujarati dish. It is made with wheat flour. The dough is prepared with water, a little salt, oil and masala, a handful it is then taken, which is spread just like chappati but pressed again in low heat using wooden press until it gets flattened into pappad like thickness. This is its difference from chappati; Chappathies are thicker than Khakhras. Khakhras are crispy, thin and very tasty.

Beautifully packed! Could see khakhra inside looking golden brown.
We bought 'Punjabi masala khakhra'. It was a little spicy. Yummy!
http://www.jabsons.com

The dip that you see on the picture was tomato puree with red chilly and a little salt. We prepare it at home with chopped tomatoes warming in a pan with a little salt and red chilly powder; the mixture then blended well in a blender. No oil needed. (Name of the dish? Is it passata? Is it simple tomato puree? Salsa? Tomato sauce? I don't know, really!) Ok, let it be chilly tomato dip ๐Ÿ˜Š

We buy Pomegranate whenever they are available in shops. Love it๐Ÿ˜Š

Green tea is my favorite drink๐Ÿ˜Š. Please check this post, I have written a poem about Green tea http://magicalpresent.blogspot.in/2013/07/green-tea.html

This is about Moroccan tea๐Ÿ˜Š. Wow, a must enjoy tea! Awesome drink!
http://magnificentdewdrops.blogspot.in/2013/03/i-enjoyed-moroccan-tea-while-visiting.html

Liked this post? Well..., I have one more interesting blog, click here to check the latest updates there too๐Ÿ˜Š

14 comments:

ariverflowsby said...

looks good, Rajiv.

Joy said...

So interesting to see your culinary dishes there:)

Rajiv Sankarapillai said...

Thank you Richard :)
Have a nice day.

Rajiv Sankarapillai said...

Thanks Joy :)

Unknown said...

Khakhra sounds great and not too fattening. Green tea isn't my fav, but it's very healthy, so keep drinking it! :)

Rajiv Sankarapillai said...

Yes, Lexa, it is not so oily.
Green tea is an awesome health drink :) Been drinking it since twenty years !
Thanks Lexa :)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Looks good... I enjoy seeing what others eat in other countries... We also drink hot tea and Green Tea is supposed to be the BEST one for us...

Have a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

This looks like a very enjoyable -- and delicious -- evening tea.

Rajiv Sankarapillai said...

Betsy, thank you so much.
Nice to hear that you two like green tea. It has amazing health benefits.

Rajiv Sankarapillai said...

Thanks George.
It was yummy :)

stardust said...

Khakhra with tomato dip looks delicious and perfect vegetarian food. Green tea is my daily beverage. Your poem is wonderful, should be used as a promotion of green tea.

Yoko

Rajiv Sankarapillai said...

Thanks Yoko :)
Hope some Company will grab it for their ad, and pay me millions !
Green tea is a proved and tested health drink. I remember tasting Japanese green tea that I bought while I was working in the middle east. Awesome, it was ! I think it was Sencha green tea ;)

Blackswan said...

Mmmm...... these look like naan to me. I'm not good at telling the difference.

Rajiv Sankarapillai said...

Naan is thicker than Khakhra. Khakhra is thin like pappads.
Thanks a lot Shirley :)